April 15, 2014

Fix: Double trigger pull



Hi guys,

A while ago I bought an aluminum AIP trigger to replace the stock TM one (just for the looks, mostly) and I noticed something really weird after that.

My Hi-capa only fired a shot when I pulled the trigger three times... this is a big problem, obviously.

So I embarked on a journey to find out what was wrong.


After careful inspection, I found out the problem is caused by the disconnector not returning to its upmost position after firing the gun or racking the slide.

Disconnector is the protruding pin one on the right

First thing I did was disassemble the entire lower frame of the hi-capa. I notice there was a lot of lubricant in the firing mechanism, so I cleaned it all out.
The disconnector is the silvery bit protruding from the frame on the left of the hammer


I didn't know how the firing mechanism works exactly, so I researched on the internet and found an interesting page. It's about the M1911, so in a way, it also applies to the hi-capa, since it replicates the firing mechanism really closely.

You can find the page here.

After putting it all back together, I found the problem was still there, but it was now mitigated to firing every two trigger pulls... still not good... but getting there.

I continued reading on the internet and watching youtube videos about the problem. I found out the issue can also be caused by the leaf spring.


So I took out the leaf spring and bent the rightmost prong forward, so it puts more pressure on the disconnector, forcing it upward. I could now fire the gun a couple of times but still there was sometimes a trigger pull without a shot being fired. Still not good.

Eventually I replaced the aluminum trigger with the stock TM one again and the problem nearly vanished... I say nearly, because still once in a while, a trigger pull was not met with a BB flying out of the barrel.

In the end I wound up buying a steel trigger bow and replacement leaf spring, fixing the problem once and for all. I suspect I somewhat disfigured the trigger bow while trying to remove the TM stock trigger from it, resulting in a lot of headache and wasted trigger pulls.

My gun is back to fully functioning and I'm a happy camper!

Sources:
- AirsoftCanada
- RedWolf Airsoft
- AirsoftForum

No comments:

Post a Comment